As a Conservative administration we’ve invested almost £30 million to transform all four of our leisure centres, making them more vibrant, more efficient to run and more environmentally friendly. This includes:
- Bringing Killamarsh Sports Centre into the District Council’s responsibility and completing a major refurbishment to include an 80 station gym, soft play area, cafe and library all on site. And all this at a lower cost for Killamarsh residents paying Killamarsh council tax!
- Securing £3 million of government funding to help reduce carbon emissions at Eckington and Dronfield Centres to install solar panels and air source heat pumps, making them some of the lowest carbon emitting public buildings in the region.
- Approving plans for a brand new Sharley Park Leisure Centre for Clay Cross and the surrounding communities, securing funding of £23 million, with work due to start in the next couple of months.
At a time when hundreds of leisure centres around the country are facing closure, we’re bucking the trend. Investing massively in our much-loved leisure service while making it more efficient for the taxpayer.
As well as this record investment in North East Derbyshire's leisure centres, we also promote a huge number of schemes to extend health and well-being out into every community in North East Derbyshire including:
- Introducing Flex memberships to allow residents to only pay for what they use, making it more affordable for everyone to exercise.
- Delivering thousands of swimming lessons, a vital life skill for our children, helping to save many lives each year.
- Started the roll out the Love Exploring app, an interactive walking game for children that you can find out more here.
- Supporting Active Fostering programme offering swimming lessons for primary school age children, ‘Junior Gym’ for children aged 11-15yrs and school holiday activity programmes free of charge.
- Launched the Walking into Communities programme promoting walking, volunteering and social/physical activity.
- Launched PALS (Physical Activity & Lifestyle Support) – to address long-term inactivity.
- Delivering ‘Five60’ anti-childhood obesity programme to 8 primary schools.
- Delivering after school and lunch time physical activity in 6 primary schools.
We are proud to be delivering great leisure facilities for everyone who lives and works in North East Derbyshire.