After receiving a £1million decarbonisation grant from the Government, our Conservative-run District Council invested over £1.5million to transform Eckington Leisure Centre, making it one of the greenest in the country.
The works included:
- Completely refurbishing the pool and pool hall, to make it warmer and more comfortable
- A refresh of the viewing gallery to make sure it’s fit for future competitions
- Installing heat exchangers to reduce energy consumption
- Air source heat pumps installed to efficiently heat the centre
- Around 80 solar panels installed on the roof to help power it
Taken together, these works are reducing not just the carbon footprint of the centre, but also the running costs. At a time when 2000 swimming pools across the country are predicted to close, here in North East Derbyshire we’re bucking the trend by investing in all of our centres to help make them more sustainable for the long term to be enjoyed for many generations to come.
But this can only happen when we have a Conservative Government and Conservative Council working together to get things done for the people of North East Derbyshire!